An employee usually takes half a day at the company every day. The employee’s mental health is closely related to a company's development, which contains workplace stress, burnout, career direction, the sense of affiliation in the organization, and interpersonal relationships affinity sense. Today, we will simply glance at the factors influencing an employee's mental health and how to improve their mental health.
What impacts the mental health of employees?
The office environment to some extent affects the comfort index. For example, in the open office environment, the company originally wants to contact the employees easier and realizes forgiveness and openness through this kind of arrangement. However, this environment may cause a psychological burden on employees. They think this arrangement can’t protect their privacy. If many people sitting around one person, she(he)may feel anxious when she(he) wants to take a rest for a while after working for long hours.
Office atmosphere also impacts the employee’s mental health, such as organizational conflict, office politics, or just plain drama. They make employees lose a sense of affiliation in the organization. Maybe office politics is common in a highly competitive company. But this atmosphere would lead to a cold relationship that is not good for building mutual trust in an organization.
Organizational culture: If an organization just focus on performance management, but ignore employee’s happiness. The employees may think their work makes no sense and lose a person’s self-worth at this organization.
Every employee has their own temperament. Some introverts are not as social but hope to integrate into the organization inside. The other colleagues or leaders can’t know him better, which causes inefficient communication. If things continue this way, the employees would feel alone at his organization. Besides temperament, workplace bullying, sexual harassment, and sexism would lead to huge psychological trauma.
Pressure from job
Overwork is the greatest resource of pressure at the workplace, which may cause an employee’s negative attitude toward work. There are lots of issues needed to deal with within a limited time, and the employees can’t get enough rest.
Single assignment makes the employees think their work is dull. However, multiple works make the employees no longer cope with this demanding job. Both of them would cause burnout.
Each employee expects to get returns from work. If the employees think they are not treated fairly, they will get in stuck. This creates incredible pressure for the employees.
Feeling of satisfaction and controlling
- The employees only accept the assignments passively without idea expressing. They will think they have no say in this organization. An employee without the right to make any decision will feel helpless.
- The company never makes its aim clear. The employees only focus on the missions at hand, but they don’t know the direction and how to move forward. This may lead to employees' self-doubt.
- If the assignments are out of employees' ability, they can’t finish them well. The feeling of controlling means employees think that they couldn't be capable of this job. If a leader doesn’t arrange assignments properly, then the sense of “self-efficacy” would be reduced.
Support from the company
Physical health and security is the base of an employee’s mental health. A healthy and safe workplace can make the employees work with ease.
Support from the company is an important solution to resolve employees' pressure. Without psychological support from the company, the employees can’t speak out about their problems that cause pressure. If the company can give them proper attention and approval, the employee’s mental health would be improved.
Each employee is a part of many relationships including the workplaces and family members. If the company doesn’t consider their needs for work-life balance, the employees would fall into a dilemma between the pressure from work and family.
How to improve employees’ mental health?
- According to the organization structure and culture, an enterprise should create a good workplace and atmosphere.
- Design professional Employee Assistance Program to conduct training and counseling of mental health.
- Pay more attention to employee’s happiness and take to act.
The employees should adjust their emotions and attitudes toward work. Try to solve the problems optimistically and keep a healthy lifestyle. Hope all the employees can work in the atmosphere they prefer. Moreover, if you're interested in being a boss to open a new company or shop, then refer to Tips to Open Successful Bridal Shop Business.